Friday, July 15, 2011

The return of Monkey Girl

The New York Times ran an article yesterday entitled “Baboon Study Shows Benefits for Nice Guys, Who Finish 2nd” (read it here) about how sometimes it’s good to be the beta baboon. Apparently they have lower stress levels than the alphas, who must worry about maintaining their alpha status. The article was an interesting one, and brought me back to my Animal Communication class last year. In Febrauary 2010, I wrote about how all of a sudden I was the girl with the random animal facts, most regularly regarding monkey communication and mating (the ever shocking Subordinate “sneak and rape”). Anyway, the class finished over a year ago and since then my new monkey facts have been few and far between. So, I’d like to thank the NYTimes for my monkey mating quote of the day. It’s been way too long since I’ve had one.


“They had fewer mating opportunities than the alphas, but they did get some mating in, more than any lower-ranking males. After all, when the alpha gets in another baboon bar fight, who’s going to take the girl home?”

Oh the things you don’t realize you’ll miss ‘til they’re gone…

No comments:

Post a Comment