Friday, January 22, 2010

Better Late Than Never

Some of you may be wondering why I have been (eh hem) a bit behind on my posts these days. It is because she has been wandering the streets of London? Has she been too busy being pulled by boys? Has she spent one too many nights in the pub recently?
Well, no. Actually I've been too exhausted (lazy) to even record events in my journal and the internet keeps futzing out. :(

So here's to play a little catch up:

1/10

Late start to the day (I swear mom its jetlag!). Colleen and Christi decided to show me the neighborhood if you will, just to make sure if I do start wandering (and you know I will) that I can at least manage to find my way back home without that pesky trail of breadcrumbs. So we started our mini adventure by going north (south? east?!) over to Kensington Park and Gardens. On the way I also discovered the we live like literally a block from the Natural History Museum, yay! Once at the park though, it resembled a bit of a winter wonderland with everything dusted in snow and all sparkly. There were all these adorable families wandering about and playing in the "blizzard" (insert eye roll here) of 1" or so of snow. It was weird to see like dozens of dogs just running around without leashes in the park, and they were so well behaved! God knows if Roxy was there she would have been off like a shot, never to be seen till dinner time.
I, being the awesome person I am, saw something sparkly off in the distance and convinced Col and Christi to investigate. Turns out it was the Albert memorial in all of its slightly gaudy gold cover glory (I want one!). So we got all touristy and took like a dozen pics in front of it. Also side note: thank you mom for the rain boots, it was super slushy in the park and I'm wicked glad I brought them.
Next we took a run to the grocery store and went by the building where classes are going to be. It doesn’t seem that far, like prob a 10 min walk from my flat. Anyways...food is soooooo expensive! I just spent like 20 pounds on like cornflakes and rice...oh yum. I swear this marks the beginning of my London anorexia, yay! (not)

1/11
Sooo classes started this morning, which in my opinion is never a valid reason to wake up early (I'm sure the parents would disagree though). In my defense, 9 am still feels like 4 am US time, ouch! My British Life and Culture professor seems really cool though. His name is David and he’s really laid back and funny. He even said that throughout the semester he’s gonna be asking us questions and if we get those certain ones right he'll buy that person a coffee form across the street. Thats what I call motivating! The class its self seems like its going to be pretty interesting too, so far its been a little about who the English are as people and their national identity as English and British. Even though the classes here are 3 hours long (eek) it doesn’t feel like it at all. We took a 15-20 min break about an hour and a half in but the rest of the time just seemed to fly by which is good.
Fun fact: the Union Jack is comprised of 3 different flags including the St. George's flag which is England's flag.
After class I had like 5 hours to kill before my next one. Christina (flat mate) and I decided to wander and explore the neighborhood. Apparently we live in a really nice area because all the houses are GEORGOUS. Like wicked nice. They even have private gardens and parks for yards that are filled with all sorts of flowers and bushes and trees. Now how come if everything is so nice around me and my neighbors across the street have hardwood floors (yes I creep) I have to live in a flat where there's divots in the floor and a lack of hot water? So not fair. Boo.
So get to my 5:00 Shakespeare class and just hanging out in the stairwell chatting with Marist kids when guess who I see. ... Really, try to guess. ... PAUL MARSHAL FROM ST PHILS!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?! Yeah that was pretty much my reaction in a nutshell. Weeeeeellll it turns out that he goes to Hobart (where Ricky Lyman goes) which is also in NY and is staying at one of the other residence halls here in London within the FIE program. What a freaking small world. It was like "OMG HI" "Hi" "So, how have the past 7 years of your life been?" So weird.
Anyways, my Lit class is awesome! First of all my prof is wicked cool and ended class early (hehe) but to make up for it he is going to take us on a walking tour of Shakespearian London Wed night. I'm sooo excited! How many students can say that their prof is going to take them to an unmarked grave yard, the Globe Theater, some Bear Gardens and end the night at a pub? I think I really love London lol.
Also I have discovered Ben's Cookies. They will be the death of me. And later my flat went to Imperial College where they have both a bar and club downstairs? Weird but cool.

1/12
No classes! No classes! YAY
Woke up and dragged myself to the Natural History Museum. First of all let me ask what is it about dinosaurs that turn 20 year old boys in to 7 year olds? It was kinda cute how excited they got over the t-rex and other dinos. The museum was fun though I didn't get to see anywhere near all of it sadly. Oh well will just have to go back soon!
Let’s see, after that went to lunch with a French guy that Megan met the other night. He was very nice and sweet and took her, me and Christina to this cute little Italian place down the road. Yummy lunch but I still don't understand why they give so many kisses? xxxxxxxxxxx
So another day of exploration with Christi and Christina. Found a little bookstore by the tube station as well as a place that sells coffee for 80 pence! 80 pence! Fantastic :) So somehow we found our way in front of Harrods? Who knew we were so close. I guess every day around 6 or 7 the food there goes to half price or 2 for 1 which was cool. Christina and I ended up eating the most amazing cupcakes that melted in your mouth. Can you say sugar rush? It’s a little sad how much my life revolves around food, well at least its good food! Oh also discovered the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) is just around the corner form me too. It looks so huge and I can’t wait to go inside! :) One more for the to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment